Sunday, May 20, 2012

Food Tips: Part 1

Breakfast before...

1. If a menu has numerous international flags on it, don't eat there! That is basically code for overpriced tourist trap, I promise.

2. When buying a crêpe off the street, watch them make one before getting in line. Make sure they pour the batter onto the griddle and make a fresh one for you, rather than just reheating a crêpe from a stack they've already made. I was recently in Giverny and went against my own advice and it was definitely not my best decision. I mean, it was a Nutella crepe, so obviously not a total loss, but I had a fresh Nutella and banana crepe a few days later and it was so.much.better.

3. If a restaurant says, on the outside, in English, "QUALITY BURGERS HERE!," doubt their claims.

4. Croissants are best before noon. They really are. Okay, let's face it, they're croissant so they're delicious any time, but if you get one before noon, the outside is crackly while the inside is perfectly yeasty and the enormous amounts of butter are still light and airy instead of a bit leaden (as they get the longer they sit out).

5. This is just my personal thing, BUT, when buying a baguette sandwich, stick to the ones that are not already in an enclosed plastic bag. I think the ones that are in the display case that are only put in a bag when you order them are fresher. The already enclosed ones just make me think they're going to be stale. These sandwiches are literally half a baguette sliced down the middle with a smear of butter, a slice of ham and a slice of cheese-- super easy. There really isn't any reason for them not to be pretty fresh from the boulanger.

6. Pierre Herme macarons are the best. THE BEST. (I also tried Lauduree for scientific comparison and PH is definitely the winner.)

Breakfast after(ish)...

No comments: