Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Human Hamster Cage

Human hamster cage

View from the ride up to the main gallery at the Centre Pompidou. Old Paris and new Paris in one picture.

On Friday I visited "the eyesore," aka the Centre Pompidou, a modern and contemporary art museum / film center / library / over-priced cafe. The whole building is super spare and industrial, which is in total opposition to the grand 19th century style of the surrounding architecture (and, you know, all of Paris...).

The best part is that in order to get to the main gallery, you have to ride up these external elevators that are encased in glass tubes. Admittedly, I felt very much like I was in one of the hamster exercise cage things, but it was still pretty cool. I mean, how often do you get to empathize with a hamster? Maybe don't answer that.

I feel like I only saw a fraction of the collection, but I might be wrong. Here are some highlights:

Clay bags? Sand bags? Neon?


Clay bags? Sand bags? Neon? When I saw that the artist's label used the word "dialectic" to try to describe it, I was sort of done.



Mari and Justin regarding art


Mari and Justin: Serious Art Lookers



If I have to have a fence, I want it to be like this.

I love the idea of a woven fence

PS- If you are ever in the area, there is a really good super-small boba and empanada place only about a block or so away. I ironically (considering how popular it is in the Bay Area) had my first boba here, in Paris. Also, the empanadas were surprisingly great. Try to find it if you can! It's a small orange storefront.
PPS- Definitely made an American faux pas at the little orange restaurant. We were sitting outside chatting and I accidentally started speaking too loudly (in English) because I was telling a story and got excited and then I got a miffed side-long look/glare from a Frenchman at the restaurant next door (there was only a plastic sheet separating us). Oops.

No comments: