Saturday, April 14, 2012

Saint-Eustache

Saint-Eustace is a half-Gothic half-Renaissance church located in the 1st arrondisement. As much as I would like to say that I'm doing my alma mater (and grandmother) proud and systematically hitting up all the Catholic churches in Paris... I'm not. I actually went to Saint-Eustache on assignment for a class but it turned out to be beautiful and fascinating.
Begun during the 1500s (read: Gothic architecture) and finished during the High Renaissance (1600s-ish), Saint-Eustache is a little bit all over the place, which is kind of what makes it great. The most striking thing about the church is the huge contrast between the stately, somber, non-ornamental architecture and the highly decorative, super intricate, gold gold gold, finishing details and artwork.

P1000061

Slowly deteriorating decorations

P1000063

There's just a little bit of difference...

P1000072

This is supposed to be the important part-- all gold, all the time. (Oh hey, we discovered this new continent? They seem to have a lot of this shiny thing. Let's use it to make our churches pretty!)

P1000060

Surprisingly, I did not really feel tiny when I was in there. I kind of feel like I should have, looking back at these pictures.

P1000068

Can't go anywhere in Paris without running into famous dead people.



What I loved the most about this church is that it still continues its tradition of incorporating new art styles into the existing structure. There are many alcoves running along the sides of the church that have really great modern art.

P1000066

This looks 1000x better in person. At first I thought it was mineral exposed by the ages but it's not. It's an amazing painting that is expressive and glittery and almost looks like a part of the wall.

P1000082

A triptych by Keith Haring! In a semi-random Gothic church in Paris! And there's a twin in SF! So many good things!

I think this church is off the tourist track which makes it nice and quiet. There were architecture buffs mixed in with worshippers when I visited. It's a church that still seemed to belong to Paris, changing and adapting with the times but also still keeping reminders of the past.

No comments: